To Die by Your Side
And if a double-decker bus crashes into us,
to die by your side, is such a heavenly way to die.
And if a ten ton truck kills the both of us,
to die by your side, well, the pleasure the privilege is mine.
There is a Light that Never Goes Out--The Smiths
This may seem morbid, but I also think these song lyrics are incredibly sweet. I think the only way dying would not completely suck is if you were with the person you loved. I think it would be great to have the last thing I see in the world be someone I loved and that I knew loved me, knowing we were their for each other one last time. Maybe one of us would even try to make the other one laugh. Not to self: One more reason to get a boyfriend.
This is also morbid, but have you ever wondered how all your friends would find out if you suddenly died? I am fortunate enough to have a lot of friends, but many of them do not know each, or at least not well enough to have their contact information, and since my parents live in the Midwest they certainly wouldn't know who to contact. Would someone reply all to one of the mass email choir invites I sent and say "sorry to do this over email, but we wanted to let you know that Dan won't be having anymore annoying choir concerts, because he's dead". Or would they post something on the Friendster message board? How does that happen. I hope it won't come to that, but sometimes I wonder.

3 Comments:
That is incredibly morbid. But I have thought about it.
11:36 PM
Dan, I thought I was the only person in the entire world who liked to think about this matter. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share my opinions on the matter.
So, if I died, I think my mom, gf, and roommate would have to sit down together and go through my address book. Each of them only knows a certain sect of my friends, but I think they'd be able to hit 80% of the inner circle if they put their heads together. Hopefully they would each call members of the inner circle. Then they could start the chain and yes, there would have to be a mass email. Still, I think they'd miss some people that I would want to know. The thing is, and I just realized this, I am not sure they know where to find my address book since I keep it on my computer. Or, yes Robin, if I am gone, it is probable that my computer has also met it's demise. What a horrid thought!
Honestly, I'd never really thought about how people would find out that I was dead. I just assumed they'd know. However, I do like to think about who would come to the wake and/or funeral. Would it be just my very close friends? Would it be the people who come to my birthday parties? Would it be people who were too busy to come to my parties? Old girlfriends? Friends of friends? People from work? People from NY? People I grew up with? (I rarely speak to them now.)
Who do you think would come to your funeral?
1:52 PM
Ok - I have thought about this although it really, truly is horrible. I always think if I am in a car crash (caused by terrible Albany drivers of course), how would the police even know who to call?? How would they know who my parents are? Is there some big registry? Would they know through my SSN?
I imagine that yes, Dan, there would have to be some big email w/the customary, "please feel free to forward this to anyone I might have missed". OH man - how depressing!!!
Note: filled with morbid thoughts one day I did make Bobby put my parent's # in his cell in case I suddenly die and he is the first to know. Its not like he is always calling my parents and has their # handy or anything. I don't want him to have to call information!!!
4:41 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home